Remember, the Personally Identifiable Information (PII) and Protected Health Information (PHI) of our members always needs to be safeguarded. Here are some important reminders to keep in mind, especially while working in a remote environment.
- Keep documents with PHI/PII out of sight from others in your household. Documents containing PHI/PII should never be handled by others not employed by your organization.
- Never discuss members’ enrollment, benefits, claims or other health related information with others in your household.
- Only shred or discard PHI, PII, or confidential information via the approved standards established by your organization.
- Always secure documents or equipment containing member PHI/PII while traveling between home and the office. Documents and equipment should be secured in a locked vehicle and out of sight when traveling.
- Emails sent externally from your organization containing member PHI/PII must be encrypted.
- Always submit member data, enrollment, and documents to us via secured and encrypted emails or through secure file transfer methods Univera Healthcare has established with your organization.
- Do not scan or copy documents containing member information at community retail establishments. These scanners and copiers are not secure.